Data migration is the process of moving data from one location to another, one format to another, or one application to another. Generally, this is the result of introducing a new system or location for the data. The business driver is usually an application migration or consolidation in which legacy systems are replaced or augmented by new applications that will share the same dataset.
Our approach & Solution
Moving important or sensitive data and decommissioning legacy systems can put stakeholders on edge. Having a solid plan is a must for the migration projects.
- Pre-migration planning. Evaluate the data being moved for stability.
- Defining project group.Identify and brief key stakeholders.
- Landscape analysis: Establish a robust data quality rules management process and brief the business on the goals of the project, including shutting down legacy systems.
- Solution design: Determine what data to move, and the quality of that data before and after the move.
- Build & test: Code the migration logic and test the migration with a mirror of the production environment.
- Execute & validate: Demonstrate that the migration has complied with requirements and that the data moved is viable for business use.
- Decommission & monitor: Shut down and dispose of old systems.
We implemented our processes via Oracle Exadata and Oracle Data Integrator.
This output exported as flat files and transferred through FTP or e-mail notification.